Academic speaking

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Academic speaking

Post  Admin on Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:08 am

A few years ago, Heriot-Watt university, a business university in Edinburgh, asked a focus group of students who were native Chinese, Arabic and Farsi speakers about the difficulties they had with academic discussions in British universities. Here are a few of the comments they made:

1. 'Unless we are sure our contribution will be good, to save our face we stay silent'.

2. 'We need time to get familiar with people to express our ideas'.

3. 'I'm afraid to be judged in public unless I have confidence'.

4. 'It's OK to speak if you have permission from another person - if they ask your opinion'.

5. 'It takes a lot to change; I just want to stay who I am and how I am'.

[/i]What do you think about these comments? Do you feel the same way? What do you think the main aim of a seminar is? Why do professors and students in British universities agree to meet and discuss academic issues in a casual style? How can you make the most of this style of learning?

You can answer as many of these questions as you like. Please comment on this or 'challenges of living in Britain' or both.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://nottinghamfoundation.userboard.net

Back to top Go down

Academic speaking

Post  Toby on Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:51 pm

Hi,

As far as I am concerned, some comments are reasonable. When we are in a new environment, we need time to adapt to it. As an important way to study, seminar can help us learn more knowledge.In seminar, students may be asked to present or lead on set topics and the whole group discuss some topics together.So, if we want to join it ,we need to change. We should become confident and do more contribution in our group.

Toby

Toby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Academic speaking

Post  Admin on Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:01 pm

Thanks for your thoughts, Toby. I'm happy to see you are aware that it can take time to get used to seminars and that you are reflectig on your own learning. Keep up the good work.

Andrew

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://nottinghamfoundation.userboard.net

Back to top Go down

Academic speaking

Post  Katherine on Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:28 pm

In my point of view, most of they said are right. When I meet a new environment I will be very nervous about talking to other people. People may say Chinese are silently in a seminar. It’s quite true. Seminar is a way for people to show their different opinions about one thing, through this way we can get different knowledge from the others. It’s a good way to improve my spoken English. Maybe I should join more seminars to build my confidence and try to like a native speaker. Wink

Katherine

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Academic speaking

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top